Wednesday, August 13, 2008

An introduction...


...for those of you who don't know me, or don't know me well, I'm a full-time children's writer, specializing in nonfiction for reluctant readers. Why? Because I was a reluctant reader as a kid, though I did know how to read. I wasn't struggling with words. I couldn't find books that had much to do with me. I write for the kid I was, as much as I write for any kid reading now.


Of course, I'm over 50 years old, so the world of library selection has changed since I was a kid. Thousands and thousands of terrific titles are on modern shelves. But there is still a place for creative thinking and innovation. There's a place for surprising topics, and there is a place for the wonders of weird. I like to write about both.


I also like to work for novelist Chris Crutcher. He's my friend and he works so hard, he sometimes needs a clerical aid...or a willing soul to feed his kitties. I'm happy to help however I can. And I'll talk about it here, every once in a while.


I'm also a mom to two remarkable young women -- Kerry, 25, a Boo Radley's retail staple and journalism major at Eastern Washington University and Vanessa, 18, a GameStop 4th key game advisor and a photography student at Spokane Falls Community College, come this fall. They are my heart and my soul and my best friends. So they'll probably turn up too.


I hope once in a while I say something worth saying. Subjective, I know. But I'll try not to waste your time. Whether or not I meet that goal -- guess we'll have to wait and see.

No comments: